There are now more than 500 students representing 34 different languages attending Sun Prairie Schools. The backgrounds of English language learners are as varied as the languages they speak:
- Some are recent immigrants seeking refuge from political repression or persecution, searching for greater economic opportunities, or reuniting with family members currently living in the United States.
- Others are from migrant families seeking seasonal employment.
- Some are from families studying or working in the United States for a designated time.
- Some students have been recently adopted into American families.
- Many were born in the United States and raised in homes in which English is not the primary language.