School Delays and Closings
With the cold weather season upon us, we know you are wondering how the school district determines if school is delayed or cancelled.
Here are our guidelines:
We watch the weather very closely in the winter months. On nights when weather is forecasted to cause any issues that might impact the safety of our students arriving at school, we are actively assessing the situation by 4:45 a.m. and want to make a decision before 6:00 a.m. If we are able to determine a school closings the night before, we will let you know about it when the decision is made.
Wind Chill Warning
For cold weather, the main indicator is wind chill factor. If the wind chill factor generates a Wind Chill Warning (-35 sustained wind chill), we will close for the day or may consider a delayed start if the warning will be lifted in the mid-morning hours. We will typically hold school when there is a Wind Chill Advisory.
Snow or Ice Events
Delaying or closing school is a decision that is not made lightly. There are many implications so we work to ensure we are making the best decision possible based on the information we have. Start of school may be delayed or schools may be closed if conditions are considered to be dangerous. How we make the decision:
How You'll Be Notified
- We will post the closing on our District website, on our District Facebook page, and via Twitter. (You do not need to be on Facebook or Twitter to see these posts. However, if you are on these social media sites, please like our Facebook page and follow us on Twitter.)
- We will use our electronic messaging system to call, email, and text families about the change in the school schedule.
- Our goal is to reach as many families as possible as soon as possible. We call all phones listed for parents and guardians of our students to ensure we reach someone in each household. While it may seem redundant to call your home, cell and work numbers, we must make sure parents who work varying shifts receive this important information. We also cannot just send it via email or text as we may not reach all families. Thank you for understanding!
Other Important Information:
- On days when we have a delayed start time as a result of weather, there will be no morning 4K classes and breakfast will not be served.
- If there is a 2-hour delay, busses will run exactly 2 hours later than their normal times.
Finally, if there is ever a time that we hold school and you do not feel it is in the best interest of your child to attend based on your assessment of the weather, please let us know and we will excuse those absences.